Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) is the best way to purchase locally grown, seasonal food from smaller farmers. You don’t have to worry about a high carbon footprint or extra chemicals. There’s many local Philadelphia CSA farmers who offer organic goods straight from the farm to your table weekly.
What is a CSA?
By purchasing a “share” from the farmer, you receive vegetables (and possibly other farm products such as fruit, cheeses, meats, yogurt and more) each week throughout the farming season. Paying upfront means that you can save money on your grocery bill weekly (and create recipes based on what you receive.) Additionally, you can develop a relationship with your farmer to learn more about where your produce comes from (and secrets like how best to prepare it!) You do also take on a shared ‘risk’ in case something takes out the tomatoes during a week, but get to share success with the freshest food possible. Not sure about joining a CSA? Julie was hooked from her first CSA experience picking up a friend’s share. After completing an entire CSA season, she recapped her lessons with “8 lessons I learned from my Philadelphia CSA experience.”
Here’s your Philadelphia CSA Guide to find the perfect share for you:
- Blooming Glen Farm, Upper Bucks County, PA. 24 weeks.
- Charlestown Farm, Phoenixville, PA. June-November, pickup at farm.
- Crawford Organic CSA, East Earl, PA – Lancaster County: Winter, Spring/Summer, Fall CSAs. Pickups: Center City Phila (119 S 21st Street) (Tuesdays).
- Down to Earth Harvest, 26 week CSA (May-November) – Pickups in Bala Cynwyd.
- FirstWatch Farms (Lancaster County) CSA with a 22-week share from May – October. Pickups: Wayne, PA (Wednesdays) & Lancaster (Fridays/Saturdays).
- Greensgrow Farm, Philadelphia (Kensington): Fruits, vegetables, baked goods, and meat & eggs from nearby farms.
- J & J Farm, Glen Mills: Offers fruit, vegetables, dairy, coffee, herbs, flowers and more.
- Kimberton CSA: Full, biweekly & shared shares. Pickup at farm.
- Lancaster Farm Fresh, Lancaster: 25-week CSA. Pickups: Mondays, Wednesdays & Thursdays, locations across Philadelphia.
- Landisdale Farm (Lebanon Valley): 21 weeks, various Philadelphia locations.
- Maysie’s Farm (Glenmoore, PA): Late Spring to Late Fall, Monday & Friday Farm Pickups.
- Mill Creek Farm, West Philadelphia: Vegetables, fruits, nuts/seeds & honey available.
- Neighborhood Foods: Urban & Rural farmers. Pickups: Friday/Saturday, locations throughout Philadelphia.
- Red Earth Farm (Schuylkill County PA): Variety of pickups on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays throughout Philadelphia. Bonus: Select your own produce.
- Sankanac CSA (Camphill Village Kimberton Hills, Kimberton PA) Email SankanacCSA@gmail.com for more info.
- Snipes Farm and Education Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that brings vitality and empowerment to our community through organic food and education programs. CSA shares run from June to November.
- Weaver’s Way Co-Op, Chestnut Hill & Mt. Airy: Locally grown produce, dried nuts, spices, cheese, eggs, bread & more. CSA Tuesday/Friday pickups, 7100 Henry Ave.
- Wimer’s Organics, Lancaster County. All season, Summer & Fall Shares.