Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) is the best way to purchase locally grown, seasonal food from smaller farmers. You don’t have to worry about a high carbon footprint or extra chemicals. There’s many local Philadelphia CSA farmers who offer organic goods straight from the farm to your table weekly.
What is a CSA?
By purchasing a “share” from the farmer, you receive vegetables (and possibly other farm products such as fruit, cheeses, meats, yogurt and more) each week throughout the farming season. Paying upfront means that you can save money on your grocery bill weekly (and create recipes based on what you receive.) Additionally, you can develop a relationship with your farmer to learn more about where your produce comes from (and secrets like how best to prepare it!) You do also take on a shared ‘risk’ in case something takes out the tomatoes during a week, but get to share success with the freshest food possible.
Not sure about joining a CSA? Julie was hooked from her first CSA experience picking up a friend’s share. After completing an entire CSA season, she recapped her lessons with “8 lessons I learned from my Philadelphia CSA experience.”
Here’s your Philadelphia CSA Guide to find the perfect share for you:
- Blooming Glen Farm, Upper Bucks County, PA. 24 weeks, from late May to early November. Pickup at farm in Perkasie.
- Charlestown Farm, Phoenixville, PA. June-November, pickup at farm.
- Crawford Organic CSA, East Earl, PA – Lancaster County: Early Start, Spring/Summer, Fall CSAs. Pickup locations in Fairmount and West Philly (Tuesdays).
- Down to Earth Harvest, Downingtown, PA. June-November – Pickups in Malvern, Kennett Square, and Downingtown (at farm).
- Farmer Jawn Philly
- FirstWatch Farms CSA, Lancaster County, PA: 22-week share from May – October. Pickups: Wayne, PA (Wednesdays) & Lancaster (Fridays/Saturdays).
- Greensgrow Farm, Philadelphia (Kensington), PA: June-November. Fruits, vegetables, baked goods, and meat & eggs from nearby farms.
- J & J Farm, Glen Mills, PA: Offers fruit, vegetables, dairy, coffee, herbs, flowers and more.
- Kimberton CSA: Full, biweekly & shared shares. Pickup at farm.
- Lancaster Farm Fresh, Lancaster, PA: Winter and Summer CSAs (27 weeks). Pickups at locations across Philadelphia.
- Landisdale Farm, Lebanon Valley, PA: Year Round. Various Philadelphia locations.
- Maysie’s Farm, Glenmoore, PA: Late Spring to Late Fall, Monday & Friday Farm Pickups.
- Neighborhood Foods, West Philadelphia, PA: Urban & Rural farmers. May-November. Pickups at locations throughout Philadelphia (Tuesdays and Saturdays).
- Philly Foodworks, Philadelphia, PA: Pickup at various locations across the Greater Philadelphia Area, or Home Delivery (on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays). Delivery boxes include Harvest, Small Customizable, and Large Customizable.
Red Earth Farm (Schuylkill County PA): Variety of pickups on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays throughout Philadelphia. Bonus: Select your own produce.Now a part of Philly Foodworks CSA.
- Sankanac CSA, Camphill Village, Kimberton PA: 24-week share, from Early June to Mid November. Pickups at Phoenixville farm (Tuesdays or Fridays).
- Snipes Farm and Education Center, Morrisville, PA: June-November. Pickups at the farm (Thursdays or Saturdays).
- Taproot Farm, Shoemakersville, PA: June-November. Pickup at various Greater Philadelphia Area locations (Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays)
- Weaver’s Way Co-Op, Chestnut Hill & Mt. Airy, PA: 24 weeks, beginning in late May. Pickups available at the farm (Tuesdays and Fridays).
Wimer’s Organics, Lancaster County. All season, Summer & Fall Shares.Now a part of Crawford Organic CSA.