Close Subscribe

Get the Weekly Recap!!

Get recaps, exclusive offers, stories and discounts. We’ll never share your email address and you can opt out at any time, we promise.
World Food Day is Today: 7 Ways to Fight Hunger
Food

World Food Day is Today: 7 Ways to Fight Hunger

world food day 2013 - farmers market in North CarolinaLet’s be real: I think of food, like 98% of the time. The other 2% is the blog, Pounce DeLeon & bourbon.

But today, we can reflect on World Food Day.

What is World Food Day?

World Food Day started in 1979 by the  Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) to help end hunger.  The 2013 themes is “Sustainable Food Systems for Food Security and Nutrition”. Since over 842 million people are hungry on the planet (with 1 in 8 suffering from Chronic Hunger), increasing access to fresh, nutritious food is essential.

On this World Food Day, I’ve been thinking about our food supply here in the USA. As I’ve started to read Food Tyrants by Nicole Faires, I have learned a LOT only a few chapters in. We’ve drastically changed our soil, crops with GMOs and many other factors in the past 100 years more than we have before. Food is an essential part of life, and paying attention to food politics will become more crucial as time goes on.

How can you help fight Hunger on World Food Day?

  1. Focus on small, local (and hopefully) organic farmers. Supporting a CSA or Farmer’s Market helps keep your dollars locally and encourages farmers to keep doing their thang.
  2. Given that the US wastes 40% of our food supply or $165 billion each year, increasing awareness of what you’re buying (and throwing away) is also crucial. Take the small steps, whenever you can.
  3. Arrange and organize a food drive with a local organization with your business, neighborhood or school. Philabundance, the Food Trust and the Greater Philadelphia Food Bank are some organizations that need your help.
  4. Support local businesses like Fruitstrology, who donates fresh produce with every product you buy. What an awesome mission for two Temple students!
  5. Use Social Media to help share World Food Day’s message.
  6. Donate your garden’s fresh produce excess to a local food bank.
  7. Sign up to volunteer your time with a local food bank.

Readers, what are you doing to fight hunger? Any suggestions?

Become a Supporter!

If you love what we do you can support our mission with a one-time or monthly contribution.
array(2) {
  [0]=>
  object(WP_Term)#5564 (10) {
    ["term_id"]=>
    int(979)
    ["name"]=>
    string(3) "CSA"
    ["slug"]=>
    string(3) "csa"
    ["term_group"]=>
    int(0)
    ["term_taxonomy_id"]=>
    int(984)
    ["taxonomy"]=>
    string(8) "post_tag"
    ["description"]=>
    string(0) ""
    ["parent"]=>
    int(0)
    ["count"]=>
    int(31)
    ["filter"]=>
    string(3) "raw"
  }
  [1]=>
  object(WP_Term)#5566 (10) {
    ["term_id"]=>
    int(1695)
    ["name"]=>
    string(8) "locavore"
    ["slug"]=>
    string(8) "locavore"
    ["term_group"]=>
    int(0)
    ["term_taxonomy_id"]=>
    int(1705)
    ["taxonomy"]=>
    string(8) "post_tag"
    ["description"]=>
    string(0) ""
    ["parent"]=>
    int(0)
    ["count"]=>
    int(26)
    ["filter"]=>
    string(3) "raw"
  }
}
Julie Hancher
Julie Hancher is Editor-in-Chief of Green Philly, sharing her expertise of all things sustainable in the city of brotherly love. She enjoys long walks in the park with local beer and greening her travels, cooking & cat, Sir Floofus Drake. View all posts by Julie Hancher

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Green Philly

Featured
In These
Great Spots: